Have you recently started a new business and are getting serious about digital marketing? If yes, you’ve come to the right place. At HeyTony, we specialize in paid digital marketing strategies for platforms like Facebook and Instagram. But before you think about running paid campaigns on Meta, it’s crucial your account is set up correctly and has the appropriate permissions assigned to users on the account.
Adding users is one of the most important steps in using Meta Business Suite correctly. As a result, you will make sure that the necessary security safeguards are in place to prevent your account from being hacked. By setting the correct permissions, you will also be able to control who has access to what and what actions they can perform. The days of sharing passwords to access your Facebook page are over!
Unfortunately, if you are unfamiliar with Meta Business Suite, you will probably find it to be an intimidating, confusing place. But don’t fret! We will break down every step in getting your account ready for adding new users in this post so you know exactly what to do.
Table of Contents:
What is Meta Business Manager
Meta Business Suite is a tool that lets you manage all of your Facebook and Instagram marketing and advertising activities in one place. Through its integration with apps, it helps you connect with your customers more effectively.
Meta Business Suite contains Ads Manager, which is where you can set up and run Facebook and Instagram ads. Additionally, Business Suite makes it easy to view and respond to notifications across all devices. The platform lets you compose and schedule posts, stories, and ads for your business, as well as find valuable insights to optimize your future efforts.
Who Needs Meta Business Suite
Meta Business Suite is helpful for businesses, brands, content creators, non-profits; the list goes on. Even if your intention (right now) isn’t to run paid advertising, Meta Business Suite is a great tool to help you engage with your audience, schedule content and manage integrations across other digital marketing apps.
Getting Started with Meta Business Suite
Before we begin adding users to the business, there are a couple of important things to set up first. Take the time to review and action the following steps, otherwise you’ll end up having to adjust permissions after the fact.
Permission levels in Meta Business Suite
There are five types of access roles you can add people as:
- Employee Access – Employees can only make changes to accounts assigned by the admin. This is the recommended access level you give anyone to the account. That way, you control who can make changes to business settings.
- Admin Access – Admins have complete control of your Business Settings in Meta Business Manager.
- Finance analyst – This type of access allows users to see financial details like transactions, invoices, account spend and view payment methods.
- Finance Editor – with this access, users can update payment methods and access documents such as invoices, transactions and other billing details.
- Developer> – Allows users to set up conversion APIs. They can also monitor events, edit applications and other technical aspects to the account.
>Types of access in Meta Business Suite
Once you’ve added an employee or admin to your account, the next step will be to decide on their access level. Since you assign individual assets to users (pages, instagram accounts, pixels, ad accounts), this second level lets you choose what type of access they have to those assets.
There are two types of access you can assign to individual assets:
- Standard Access – you can toggle on each specific task you’d like this person to access
- Admin Access– There’s only one option here, which allows this person to manage the entire asset. This will give them access to full control to view and make changes.
Linking Facebook and Instagram Pages
Since access is assigned by individual assets, you will want to make sure that all Facebook Pages and Instagram Accounts are added to the account first. This way, when it comes to adding employees, you can assign them the level of access they need to each all in one go.
Before you get started, you’ll want to prep a few things:
- Have a Facebook page already created (you must be an admin of the page for a minimum of 7 days)
- Have an Instagram business account and have the username and password ready
- Neither Facebook page or Instagram account can be owned by another Business account. If it is attached to another account, it will need to be removed by the admin through Business Manager.
- It’s recommended that your Instagram business account is already linked to a Facebook page.
- Log out of any personal Instagram accounts on your browser
Add a Facebook Page
- Navigate to the ‘Business Settings’ in the left panel (looks like a little gear symbol)
- Click on Accounts and then Pages under ‘Business Assets’
- Click the blue button that says Add
- Select Add a Page and enter the Facebook Page name or type in the URL
Add an Instagram Account
- Going back to Accounts> in ‘Business Settings’, click on Instagram Accounts this time
- Click the blue Add button
- Click Connect your Instagram accounts
- You’ll be prompted to enter your Instagram username and password. Follow the prompts.
Related: How to Set up a Facebook Pixel on Your Website
Give permissions to new users on Meta Business Suite
Now that you’ve added Facebook Pages and Instagram accounts, we’re finally ready to add users to the account.
Note: Before this step, you may also want to add Facebook Pixels, Ad Accounts or Product Catalogs to the account if you have them. If not, it’s no problem as you can always do this later.
Steps to Add users to your Meta Business Suite
Now let’s get people added to the account! There are a few simple steps:
- Navigate back to ‘Business Settings’
- Under Users, click on People
- Click on the blue Add button
- In the popup, enter the email address of the person you wish to add
- Under ‘Assign Business Role’, choose one of the five permission levels, hit Next
- Under the left-most column, choose the asset type such as Pages, Instagram Accounts, Apps etc (you can do more than one at a time)
- Select the Assets available
- Under the right column, choose the individual task access
- Click Invite
They will receive an invite with instructions on joining the Business account in their email.
Steps to Add Agencies or Add Business Partners
Now what if you were thinking about hiring a digital marketing agency to help you with your digital marketing efforts? In this case, rather than add the individual people from that agency, you would give access to the agency’s Business Account. This will give them free reign to make the changes they need to without asking you to do anything. Of course, you can limit their permissions just like any employee, but you should have that discussion with your partner to see what access is needed.
Before you begin, ensure that you have the following:
- Your business partner should have a Business Manager already set up
- They will need to provide you with their business ID.
The process is very similar to adding people:
- In ‘Business Settings’, find Users and click on Partners
- Click the blue Add button
- Choose ‘Give a partner access to your assets’
- Enter the business ID provided in the field and hit next
- Follow the next steps to provide permissions to the appropriate assets
You’re all set!
Enabling Two-Factor Authentication
Applying Two-Factor Authentication to your account
These days, you can’t be too careful when it comes to protecting your digital assets. This is why we highly recommend setting up two-factor authentication (2FA). Two-factor authentication provides an added layer of security that will help prevent unauthorized access.
Meta allows you to choose between Admins only or Everyone to login using 2FA. Only business admins can turn on two-factor authentication.
Go to Business Settings in Business Manager
- Click on Business Info
- In the left hand column, scroll to Security Center
- Under Two-Factor Authentication click the dropdown menu
- Select Admins or Everyone (choosing ‘No one’ will leave 2FA off)
Setting up Two-Factor Authentication on users’ personal account
Now that this is enabled, users will need to set up two-factor authentication on each of their personal Meta accounts. This is because to login to Meta Business Suite, you have to log in through your personal Meta account. When logging in from a new browser, users will be prompted to enter a unique login code through one of three security methods:
- Tapping a security key on a compatible device
- Use a login code from a third party authentication app
- Get a code sent to your mobile phone via text message (SMS)
For full details on how to set up 2FA on your personal accounts, send this guide to your employees.
Start Meta Advertising Today
Ready to get started promoting your online business or product through paid advertising? HeyTony offers end to end support getting your paid digital marketing campaigns up and running. From strategy to campaign launch & optimizations, we’ll ensure that we start off on the best foot forward, and keep momentum going once your campaign is live.
Did you know that 75% of Canadians use Facebook in some way? If you want to reach people, Facebook and Instagram advertising are one of the most affordable and effective options out there for businesses. Get in touch with us today and let’s get started!